Friday, January 3, 2014

2014 #oneword : Believe

When thinking about what #oneword I wanted to use to theme 2014, I could think of many different options. One word truly stuck out to me as the foundation of each option: Believe. I had a professor in grad school that basically slammed in our brains that you do not think about things, you believe in them. Belief promotes confidence, passion, trust, honesty, and connection to others (and higher beings).

Here is how I would like to approach the #oneword this year: I would like to set a list of things that I wish to believe in, and check back with myself once a month to reflect on progress. So here is what I would like to believe in:

-Myself
-Love
-Others
-The Power of Prayer

Myself: This boils down to confidence. I had someone tell me in early 2013 that I had a true sense of confidence about me that had really come from nowhere and was viewed as a positive quality. As I ended 2013, I felt less confidence in myself as I entered the workforce and as a result was more stressed and tense in many aspects of life. My approach to 2014 is simple, to have confidence in my opinions and to be as confident to fight for what I believe in at work than in my personal life. Not a cocky attitude, but one that exudes respect and belief in my judgement.

Love: Relationships are hard. Near, far, new, old - doesn't matter. Love is the root of all happiness for me and I would like to continue to push myself to remember that when times get trying and frustrating, that loving something or someone will make things right. And that's unconditional love - good, bad, and ugly. You take someone for all that they are, not just what you like about them.

Others: This is mainly trust. I believe that all are good (unless proven otherwise), but I would like to remind myself that even if the bad comes out in someone that good still exists - it just needs to be coaxed out.

The Power of Prayer: I've never had a deep religious background, but have really been connecting with prayer lately. Praying for relief of trying times in my life, praying for the well-being of others. I've noticed such a difference in myself that it's something that I would like to continue to do and reflect on. One instance stands out this year where I prayed one night and an answer came to me out of nowhere the next morning. It probably saved my job.

Not that anyone reads this, but that's my two cents. Thanks for playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment