Sunday, January 20, 2013

I'm a slacker: 1/17/13-1/20/13

You'll notice a theme through most of these...that wasn't intentional as I took the pictures each day - I just haven't posted in a few days. 



So this twix bar really stuck out to me, because of my inner dialogue at the vending machine. The vending machine's here often don't have the candy that I would REALLY want...but I needed a chocolate fix. So I walk up and think, alright a Reese's will do. Then, of course after I had already pushed the button, I notice the twix and think - MAN that sounds good right now. So I hit that button too (I was paying with university meal plan) and thought - you're welcome to whoever finds the reeses peanut butter cups.

The twix takes me back to an old commercial and running joke with some friends from undergrad. There is a commercial where anytime a man is about to say something stupid - it tells them to bite into a twix so that they may think about what they're saying before they say it. I went on a trip with some friends (two of which were male) and we brought a bag of fun sized twix for them...and they needed it so much it became more of a reward for bad behavior...


Thank you cards have a special meaning for me. I don't typically like receiving them, but I love to give them out. I feel like gratitude so often is taken for granted that I value any chance that I can to tell someone what they mean to me and why (at least in written form). I picked this card today because I had just ended a book called "A Simple Act of Gratitude". It was a true story about a man whose life was crashing down, but in the heat of it all began a mission to write one thank you note per day for one year. Even though he it took him far more than a year to complete the task, his life changed because of what happened. It was such an inspiring story and one that I will surely never forget.


This is a pressed penny from Niagara Falls. I collect these and they have a special meaning to me because of the adventures that go along with finding each and every one. I did not personally get this one, which is why it is listed today. One of my RA's went on a road trip, saw the machine, and was so excited to give it to me. Although I prefer going out and finding these myself - I very much appreciate the gesture. It mean's I'm doing something right as a supervisor.


This is a picture of the interior of the United Methodist Church in Berea. Today it held an event called "Songfest" where the gospel choir for BW was singing in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King. One of my staff members asked me to go, as she was performing. She had a solo and - the girl has some pipes for sure. The music was absolutely fantastic and it was so enlightening to see the impact of things that have happened almost 50 years ago still in effect today.

No comments:

Post a Comment