Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Spaghetti...with a chance of meatballs


I begin this project 365 kicking off 2013 with a photo of a long time family tradition, a spaghetti dinner on New Years Day. The tradition started a long time ago with my grandmother and grandfather (who is no longer with us). They would go out and participate in New Years Eve festivities that led to several stories that my mother, aunts, and uncles have since told me...including one about a spinning silver Christmas tree and my grandmother sprawled out on a bed. On New Years Day, my grandmother would often awake in a hungover state and always cooked pasta as a remedy.

Though my grandmother's days of living the night life on New Years Eve are long gone (she usually can't stay awake long enough to watch the ball drop at midnight), for as long as I can remember I have been eating spaghetti and meatballs at her house with family. Even the past few years when I haven't been able to attend due to work, I always find a way to get this meal to begin the new year.

I always look forward to the holidays with family, as I never know when it will be the last with my grandmother. This years new years held a record attendance of close to 30 people, which led to my grandmother throwing a fit every time someone didn't sit down while eating (which was most of the time). Christmas Eve is usually between 50 and 60...my grandparents didn't have cable...they threw a party the year my grandmother didn't get pregnant.

As I begin 2013, I see all of the potential it has to offer. I cannot wait for the day that I can begin traditions of my own. Although I will likely start some that are new, I will always begin every year eating a plate of spaghetti and meatballs.




No comments:

Post a Comment